Monday, June 9, 2008

WEEK 3

Date: Monday, 2 June 2008

“Rest Day”

I did a lot of riding on the weekend so I planned to have a “Rest Day”. The planned rest day was also to give Amanda an opportunity to get out to the skate park in the morning when there’s no one there…. and she actually DID!

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


Amanda heading to the Skate Park

Date: Tuesday, 3 June 2008
Time: 1:21:58
Distance: 31.58km
Average Speed: 23.1
Temp: 12°C
Wind: SE18kph gusting to 28kph
Conditions: cloudy
Notes: Met up with Ryan and Susan (who conveniently live within a block of each other) and rode out College Drive and on to Highway 5 just up the “big hill” and back. Actually the hill didn’t seem QUITE as big as it has in the past. I’m not saying I’m a hero and breezed up it or anything – I’m just not is a terrible of shape as maybe I have been. It was a nice ride. Not too hot, not too cold, not too windy – tailwind coming home. There was a bit more traffic than my usual route – but there were nice wide shoulders (in most places… that were mostly clear of gravel… mostly…).

40 Ball Crunches, Back Extensions on Ball, Leg Raises, Push-ups


Susan climbing up the hill.


Ryan grabbing some fluids at the top of the hill.

Later I took Finnegan to the folks, Keira to gymnastics, and then back to the folks… ~12km


Date: Wednesday, 4 June 2008
Time: ~1 hour on trainer
Notes: 3°C and fog just seemed too damn cold this morning – also I was kind of dragging my ass (stayed up too damn late watching a movie – “too damn late” being 10PM)… so I did an hour on the trainer and watched part of Quicksilver.

Tomorrow Amanda’s going to the skate park again, so it will be another “rest day”… or maybe I could get a bit in on the trainer if I were really gung-ho and got up waaaaaay before her….

40 Ball Crunches, Back Extensions on Ball, Leg Raises, Push-ups

Later in the morning I took the kids to the library ~8km. In the evening I hauled four pails of compost from Steep Hill ~5km.


Date: Thursday, 5 June 2008
Another planned rest day to give Amanda an opportunity to go out and ride. I should set up a circuit in Victoria park that, should I be dragging my ass and not get out for a longer road ride, I could at least go out and do a shorter, high intensity rip around the park on my cross bike – complete with dismounts and short run-ups…. Or give me something to do on the mornings Amanda wants to go out BEFORE she gets up… (she dragged her ass out of bed around 6:20…).


Date: Friday, 6 June 2008
Time: 1:28:16
Distance: 36.15
Average Speed: 24.57kph
Temp: 10-12°C
Wind: SE 15kph
Conditions: Cloudy
Notes: Rode out Valley Road with Susan.

Saw deer and a skunk

40 Ball Crunches, Back Extensions on Ball, Leg Raises, Push-ups


Date: Saturday, 7 June 2008
Time: 3:07:37
Distance: 81.25
Average Speed: 25.98kph
Temp: 11-14°C
Wind: SE 15kph – NE 9kph
Conditions: Cloudy – Light Rain
Notes: Wow. What a great ride!


I saw a hawk just sitting on a sign


A grey day out there.


Someone building a Straw Bale house off the Pike Lake Road.

40 Ball Crunches, Back Extensions on Ball, Leg Raises, Push-ups

Later I took Keira out to do some errands ~8km.


Date: Sunday, 8 June 2008
Time: 1:28:35
Distance: 32.05
Average Speed: 22.01
Temp: 10°C
Wind: NE 17kph
Conditions: Cloudy
Notes: I was up late last night (10PM) finishing off The Flying Scotsman (the book by Graeme Obree) ans so I set the alarm an hour later (6AM). I was feeling a little stiff and sore and tired and it took me nearly an hour to drag my ass out the door for a ride – but drag my ass and ride it did. Of course once I got ON the bike and RIDING things felt better.

I went out College Drive and out towards the big hill as the forecast said the wind might pick up to 30kph and I didn’t want to be out at the end of valley road, hit the wall and have to turn around into a 30kph headwind.


Final destination for Sunday morning’s ride – doesn’t look like much…but it’s a bit of a climb – especially in 54x18…


The view from the hill.

It wasn’t as great a ride as yesterday; it felt cold and hard and tiring…. But it was still better than not doing anything.

40 Ball Crunches, Back Extensions on Ball, Leg Raises, Push-ups – these were HARD today…

I had forgotten about the Alley Cat earlier in the week while Amanda was planning a ride with Susan. Well I hadn’t entirely forgotten about it I just didn’t somehow make the connection that it was at the SAME TIME that Amanda would be riding with Susan and I would then have the kids… So I had a movable cheering section!

I have no “stats” for the race – I Imagine it was somewhere around 15-20km and it took me about an hour – there were a fewe stops thought – including stopping to change one of the other competitors tires! You can read all about it on the Alley Cat Post

I am SOOOOOOOOO looking forward to my “Rest Day” today!

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)

No comments:

Post a Comment