Wednesday, July 23, 2008

40oz to Freedom Alley Cat

Another fun Alley Cat race put on by the friendly folks at Bicycle Smile.

I made the mistake of going out for a ride earlier in the morning and going just a little to far, a little too hard and not drinking quite enough water…. My brain was kind of cooked. By the time I got up the bridge and across the river to the race start point I was beat.

I had thought since there were so many that were utterly lost last time that I was able to come in middle of the field towing kids I thought I might have a decent chance alone on the Rocket!

Yeah… well…

Anyway, here’s the route I took…


View Larger Map


The race started at President Murray Park (Between Colony and Aird Street). We had the usual “le mans start” with the added fun of picking up an egg that Ryan had left by each of our bikes – that we had to carry unspoiled to the finish or suffer a 10 minute time penalty….

The racers took off like a bat out of hell and I pretty much knew I was done. I tried to delude myself that they would burn themselves out in the heat…. They didn’t…. maybe if it had been a longer race… check points further scattered about town…

First stop: Pick up spoke card from person standing on the steps at the main entrance to the Thorvaldson Building (the chemistry building at the University of Saskatchewan). If it was not in your spokes at the end of the race some other sort of penalty would be assessed. I have to admit I stuffed it in my pocket – to stick in the spokes later as I approached the finish.

Next stop: Pick up can of Root Beer from the front steps of 1009 3rd Street East. Not to be consumed during the race – must be chugged at the last checkpoint. (You know after it’s been bumped ans sloshed around and warmed up in your bag for 30 minutes… Nice one Ryan, thanks a lot for that…). by the time I was here I thought I was going to die – I just couldn’t get enough water into me fast enough and when I did get some water in I thought I might puke it up… Oi…

The rest of the checkpoints were downtown. We had to take rubbings from the plaques of two different statues; the Gabriel Dumont statue in Friendship Park and the bust of Gandhi on 21st. The last four were of the “what building is at this address” type checkpoints. I could have guessed one (the Bessborough 601 Spadina Cr. West) I think some people did guess and skipped it…

There were a couple that abandoned the race and at least two that officially finished after me… but only because they drank their root beers even slower than I did… Someone did break their egg – so they may have technically finished after me too… not that it matters – second place is the first loser, afterall…

There was a track stand competition afterwards… I couldn’t even get up on my bike I was so tired…

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


Seth, the winner, weeps with joy as he is presented with prize – a sweet looking Mer Bags Messanger back pack. Sucks being beat by a fat smoker…


Some of the other participants and their bikes at the finish line.


Don Cook and his cool new Steel Wool Tweed touring steed!


The track stand competition. I was so tired I couldn’t even get ON my bike…. Ryan was up for a couple minutes, the other two were still standing there when I left…


Ryan and Emily and Emily’s pink bike.

I think I’ll bring the kids again next time – it was way more fun having a movable cheering section and not giving a shit about winning…

Check out the cool video Ryan posted of the race on Youtube:



That fat bastard he keeps passing at the beginning is me!

You can see Ryan’s pics at Bicycle Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment