Friday, July 18, 2008

Tim’s Cycling Cap Mk. I

So I was sitting around one day and I thought to myself – “I’m going to try making my OWN damn cycling cap! How hard can they be?” I got out a needle and some thread and some wool material I had picked up at a thrift store ages ago (originally intended for shorts – but that’s still way beyond my sewing expertise). I made a simple four-panel pattern. Cut out the material. Sewed it all together by hand. Here are the results:

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


Looks not bad here… the brim is more like a ball cap and won’t really stand up cycling-dork-style…


Here’s the big problem – for some angles it looks a little like a squarish farmer hat or something…


Works okay under the helmet…. Rear facing, at least…

I have modified the pattern slightly to make it slightly less boxy and made the brim a little more traditional looking. Now if only I could find the time to sew it up.

Maybe I should try using a machine sometime… How hard can they be to figure out…?

2 comments:

  1. Impressive! More than I could have accomplished...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers!

    Mk.II worked out waaaaaay better and was so much quicker (figured out how to use a sewing machine!!)

    ReplyDelete