Saturday, March 13, 2010

That First Road Ride of the Year


I love the first skinny-tire-on-clear-road ride of the year. Up until that point it’s been months of fat and knobby on snow and ice and/or towing kid(S)…and you get on your bike and you feel like your going warp factor seven without even trying. No matter what your frame or what kind of kit you’re lugging along or how many pounds you’ve added during hibernation you just feel like your riding on air…

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


I had one of those rides this morning.

I love that.

Clears the head of all that doubt and depression and despondence and revitalizes and rejuvenates and makes one realize things aren’t so bad…


It’s also good to get out of the city and do some distance! Makes the shorter trips seem like less of an effort… when I haven’t gone for a long ride for a while that 15Km return trip with the kids to violin group lessons on Thursday evenings starts to feel longer and longer and more and more daunting every trip.

A good little 50+Km roll in the countryside puts things all back into perspective.

15Km to group lessons towing two kids and three violins..? Pffft! That’s nothin’!


I need to start working in those 100Km Sunday Morning rides to Delisle out Valley Road again…

Hard to do when Amanda’s running longer and longer distances every Sunday to train for her marathon in June…


Thanks to Susan my riding buddy for getting me off my ass and out on the road again!

1 comment:

  1. "Clears the head of all that doubt and depression and despondence and revitalizes and rejuvenates and makes one realize things aren’t so bad…"

    I know that feeling! Amazing how a simple bike ride can do so much.

    ReplyDelete